First of all, thank you to all those who tuned into the Daily Dish today! Ill be sure to post a link soon!
I hope that everyone had a safe and exciting NYE this year and I’m sure that we are all a little sad to be back to reality! Luckily today is still considered a holiday so I’m going to soak up all the fun while it lasts. HIIT and Tabata training has saved my life over the holidays and I’ll be sure to post the workouts I’ve been doing to stay in shape. They are perfect for the busy family time and I was CRAZY sore after each one. I even worked out with my sisters and we couldn’t walk up the stairs the next day! 20 min of HIIT and we couldn’t move! Can you believe that?
Before I post those awesome workouts, I wanted to discuss some tips on handling your New Years health goals. I have health goals this year as well as i’m sure many out there do too. January brings new gym passes, diets, and protein shakes but usually doesn’t last till February. Why are these goals so hard to keep? I have found that quick weight loss diets, crazy new workout schedules, and a complete diet change are too hard to keep. It’s all about baby steps to change your entire lifestyle. Why not make a resolution to listen to your body, and find the healthiest, happiest you!
Image via Pinterest
Here are a couple tips that I found helpful in my pursuit of health:
- Limit the amount of processed foods in your diet. Take it slow. Make a transition from boxed foods to whole foods.
- Eat Clean! Goes hand in hand with the previous tip. Watch what you feed your body. Is it cooked in bad fats? Does it contain too much un natural sugars? Abs are made in the kitchen my friends! Feed your body good!
- Drink water! Reach for a water instead of a soda and pay attention to how you feel. Be wary of fruit drinks because they can contain up to as much as a full cup of added sugars!
- Stay away from quick weight loss diets. Restrictions are a mental battle that always seems to win in a time of weakness. I find that when I restrict sugars, carbs, or fats, I just crave them more! Give your body healthier versions of your cravings! Fruit satisfy my sugar needs and whole grains are a lot better than carbolicous white bread. Carbs are not bad. Let me say that again. Carbs are not bad. It is the kind of carb you are eating that can be either harmful or helpful to your body. Choose WHOLE grains when possible:)
- Eat fat. Sounds crazy right? Feed your body the good fats and it will help burn the bad fats. Foods like raw nuts, avocados, and beans contain the essential fats that our bodies need.
- Get moving! Do whatever you can to stay active! Walk, run, jump rope, dance, or hit the gym. Doesn’t take hours at the gym to get in shape:) *See below for some at home workouts!
- Sleep and meditation. Sleep is a time when our body rebuilds and rejuvenates. Sleep is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Don’t skip out on it! Mediation does not have to be anything too serious. Find a few minutes a day to focus on yourself and focus on your intention for the day. Be thankful for the day and say “Thank You” as you step out of bed each day.
Hopefully those tips can help with some of your goals for the new year. Remember to take it slow and listen to your body. It will take time to see results but you are doing it in a healthy way that will last a lifetime. Be patient with yourself as any life change is tough. You are already half way there with a healthy goal to get started!
Now I promised I would post the workouts I’ve been doing to stay in shape the last couple of weeks! Take a look…
Hot Holiday Burn from Amanda Russell
This Tabata workout is from Courtney at Sweet Tooth Sweet Life.
This next workout I found here at bobbimccormick.com. She is darling and I just discovered her blog!
20 Minute Tuesday: Post Holiday Burn
Do each move for one minute with a 10 second rest in between and then repeat the entire set.
3. Mountain Climbers
4. Bicycle Crunches
5. Jumping Jacks
6. Tricep Dips
7. High Knees
8. Lower Leg Lifts
Give these workouts a try and let me know what you think! I know you will feel them and love the results!! Now go get moving!