i can’t believe how fast october flew by and it will be christmas before we know it! sheesh! this time of year is always crazy!
i’ve felt so sluggish lately and slacking in my accountability for clean eating and i came across a janetha’s turkey day challenge and decided it was time to take control!! although i don’t work out at janetha’s gym, i have decided to join with a few twists and you are welcome to join me! be sure to check out the turkey day challenge too!
the great thing about the challenge is that it will help keep you accountable for your food and fitness choices and it will benefit those in need! so here are the original details of the challange:
- You may eat NO ADDED SUGAR – no white sugar, no brown sugar, no high fructose corn syrup (you’ll have to check labels for this sneaky beast). Honey and agave are ok. Unprocessed fruits are OK. You can have Splenda and Asptartame, but why the H would you want to? Basically, anything that is a sugary sweet eaten for pleasure alone is off limits. Just until Thanksgiving day.
- You must complete 5 GPP workouts per week PLUS three extra 30 minute cardio sessions per week. (i don’t attend GPP so i will count my crossfit workouts)
- You are to pick a health related challenge to stick to. Once picked, you should post this healthy challenge and how you will be accountable for compliance to it.
Below are a few suggestions of health related challenges you may consider:
- Comply strictly with a whole30 meal plan.
- Get 6-8 hours of sleep per night.
- 50 extra burpees per day.
- Pray/meditate daily
- No unhealthy snacks.
- Take a daily multi vitamin.
- 5 servings of fruits + 5 servings of vegetables per day.
- Eat .9 g of lean protein per lb of lean body weight daily.
- Eat healthy & correct portions of breakfast/lunch/dinner.
- Weekly community service.
- Weigh & measure weekly.
i mentioned earlier that this challenge will help keep you accountable and benefit those in need. well, every time i decide to eat sugar, miss a workout, or slip up on my health challenge goal, i will put a $1 in a jar or 1 canned item in a bag to donate to the local food bank. now this doesn’t mean that with one handful of sweats $1 counts. it means that each piece of sweet treat counts as $1. so 3 starbursts = $3 or 3 cans of food. pretty neat huh?
so i started yesterday and the challenge continues till november 21st! it is a great way to get a handle on your health before the holdiay season begins. create healthy habits that will continue into the holidays!
my commitments to health
1. no added sugars *except for tiny traces in sauces, protein powders, and salad dressing ( remember that those small traces are still a whole source of sugar, not the nasty refined stuff!) the main idea for me is to stop grabbing sweets or stealing tastes from carson’s food. i am not terribly worried about soy sauce containing a tiny amount of sugar, i am more worried about the hot tamales i’m apparently addicted to:)
2. i will complete 5 crossfit workouts a week. (the origianal challenge requires 30 min of cardio 3 days a week plus the 5 workouts). with me teaching so much, i may die if i add more workouts to my already crazy routine. If i do have the chance to attend a zumba class or catch a run, i will take it but 3 days of extra cardio probably wont happen.
3. pray. i need to be a lot better about taking time for myself and thanking the lord for my blessings. especially at this time of year! i think taking a few minutes to my self will really help turn around my days and help me focus on what’s most important!
so now it’s your turn! post your commitments below and check in daily with how you are doing! don’t be too stressed about “slipping up” i already owe $2 to my jar and i am happy to pay it:)
to keep up with the challenge daily, you can post your workouts, eats, etc at GPP where many others will be posting too since i won’t be posting daily about the challenge here:) i will keep you all updated though!
thanks again to janetha and good luck!!